2016 has been a year of break downs. More downs than ups. Last night we discovered the second floor air conditioning system had quit working and the second floor is where we sleep. It was pretty stuffy to begin with. I did some checking of the system, hoping it was merely a matter of the circuit breaker snapping off, but no. I went and looked at the digital thermostat and the display window had two things flashing, filter and battery. Filter is easy enough but I'd never seen battery before and was unaware these thermostats had batteries.
I decided to pull off the cover of the thermostat and sure enough there were 3 double A batteries in there. However, they were not the ordinary kind you put into every device. These were duracell Procell used for unordinary things and of course no one sold them. I went around to a couple of places and these were not available and most clerks had never heard of them and told me, "ah, the normal AA's will work fine."
But they didn't. I got a slight click from the thermostat like it wanted to come on, but after some googling I found that it appears these batteries are 9.5 volts and normal ones are 9. That extra .5 most make the difference. In any event, I've given up and we have a repair person coming this morning.
Sometimes you can fix things yourself, many times you can't. It doesn't hurt to try.