Here are a few things to look out for beginning January 1.
1. Drivers will no longer have to hand over their drivers license if they are pulled over for speeding or some other violation, they sign the ticket and go on their way. I know from experience (some years ago) that the license was taken when ticketed and it went to the court house in whatever jurisdiction the violation occurred. Supposedly the ticket could substitute as a license form of ID. This is a good thing, photo id's are needed for everything these days and waiting for yours to be returned is problematic.
2. Tollway speeds will rise to 70mph to get in line with the other highway speed limits.
3. Truckers in Chicago area counties will see their top speed limit rise to 60 from the current 55. This is not my favorite new law.
4. The gray wolf, American black bear and cougar will become protected species, with a few allowances for landowners to kill any of them if lives or property are threatened.
5. Preganancy at work would require employers to give workers "reasonable accommodations" to continue doing their jobs while they are pregnant.
6. Forbids local police departments from having ticket quotas.
7. Regulate the use of drones by police by prohibiting law enforcement agencies from using a drone owned by a private third party to acquire information. The law does allow the use of a drone without a search warrant if the police are using it during a disaster or public health emergency.
8. Amish residents will be able to get an state id card without having to have their photographs taken.
9. Water Buffalo's were added to the list of animals whose milk can be regulated.
10. The list of places where a parent can be held liable for underaged drinking will now include campers, boats and other vehicles.
11. Schools will be required to address cyber bullying even if it occurs off-campus on private computers and personal cell phones.
There are more new laws which I'll add in the coming days.