Well yes it can. At least in Sacramento's Yuba County area.
Residents at a Yuba County mobile home park were told they would finally get answers from the state health department on Tuesday, but the inspector sent to check their water never showed. The filtration system that takes the methane out of the water at the mobile home park broke in April.
With methane still in the water supply residents can pour a glass of water, light a match and set it on fire. Since April, Yuba County Environmental Health Department, in a letter to neighbors, wrote that the water is free of harmful bacteria, but in that same letter it says the water could be dangerous.
The letter instructs homeowners to keep doors and windows open, don’t smoke inside and report any dizziness and fatigue. Failure to do so and it could be deadly.