According to a story in USAToday and retold by Washington DC's WTOP, trucks and SUV's last longer than cars. I'm using WTOP's story because the USAToday page has a pop-up ad which will not go away.
"If you're looking to maximize the miles, it may be better to buy a truck or SUV than a car." IseeCars.com searched used-car sale listings for vehicles with 200,000 miles or more and analyzed 30 million listings from 1981 to 2010 to find which vehicles could withstand time and miles. Of the top 12, there is only one car -- the Honda Accord. All of the rest of the vehicles were SUVs or pickups.
No. 1 on the list is the Ford F-250 Super Duty, followed by the Chevy Silverado 2500HD.
The complete list and the percentage of them showing at least 200,000 miles:
- Ford F-250 Super Duty, 4.3 percent
- Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, 3.6 percent
- Chevrolet Suburban, 3.6 percent
- Toyota 4Runner, 3.5 percent
- Ford Expedition, 3 percent
- GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2.7 percent
- Chevrolet Tahoe, 2.1 percent
- GMC Yukon XL, 1.9 percent
- Toyota Sequoia. 1.7 percent
- GMC Sierra 1500, 1.6 percent
- GMC Yukon, 1.6 percent
- Honda Accord, 1.6 percent