In regard to the sequester mania, Senator Tom Coburn has a list of things the defense department could well do away with before scaring people about furloughing essential personnel.
Eliminate unnecessary jobs and programs that have little or nothing to do with defense
- Eight employees who serve on the Board of Geographic Names, which names streams, mountains, hills, and plains across the United States.
- A 46-minute video production called Grill It Safe featuring grill sergeants showing off their own recipes.
- $1 million on developing a plan to send a space ship to another solar system.
- $1.5 million to procure beef jerky advancements from France.
- $6 billion on questionable, duplicative and unnecessary research, including $5.2 million to determine what lessons about democracy and social decision-making could be learned from fish.