Dale's cousin John sent me a funny rundown of things you need to know about driving in St. Louis. It's too long to put the entire thing up but here are a couple of examples:
1. Laclede Station Road , McCausland, Lindbergh , Watson , Reavis Barracks, Fee
Fee, McKnight, Airport Road , Midland , McKelvey, and Olive
mysteriously change names as you cross intersections.
2. The outer belt is Highway 270 which turns into Highway 255 in South County . The inner belt is Highway 170. Highway 370 is an outer-outer belt. Highway 40 is the same as Interstate 64 (but only through the middle part of St. Louis ). If you are listening to traffic reports and they are calling it 64, the traffic jam is in Illinois . If they are calling it 40, the traffic jam is in Missouri .
3. Never ever try to cross a bridge in St. Louis during rush hour unless you have a sack lunch and a port-a-potty in the car.
4. Construction on Highways 40, 64, 70, 255, 270, 44, 55 and 170 is a way of life, and a permanent form of entertainment.
5. Drivers who are supposed to yield will not, and the drivers who are not
supposed to yield will wait
politely for the ones who are supposed to yield, so it all works out.)